Monday, February 25, 2008

The many buckets problem

As I mentioned in my previous post one of the problems that we run into with mapping context to content is the multi bucket problem. Consider the following. At home I organize all my clothes into buckets.

Each bucket has a different item of clothing in it e.g. one bucket contains all my shoes; another bucket contains all my pants; yet another bucket has all my jackets.

How let's imagine for a moment that these are very sophisticated buckets. These buckets have the ability to classify all of the items contained within as well as matching items together. For example my shoe bucket has the ability to classify all of my shoes by color and size as well as matching all of my left shoes with their corresponding right shoes. To top it off these buckets have a shinny panel on the front that gives me detailed information about any item in the bucket. So with my bucket of shoes I can see from the front panel all the information that i need about a certain shoe, such as when I bought it, how often I have worn it etc.

This is all fine and dandy, but I run into a problem when for example I am invited out to a work related cocktail party. Since this is my first cocktail party I am unsure about what to wear and would like to be able to say to all my clothes buckets, please give me an ensemble to make me look good for this cocktail party. My clothes buckets I am sure will look back blackly at me, with the shinny digital displays, beeping nervously as I start to frantically root through one bucket after another to try and put together some vestige of an outfit that will make me presentable at the cocktail party.

This simple story serves to illustrate the problems inherent in any repository based information management system. However, there are a couple of lessons to be learned from this simple analogy.

  1. No one bucket can be responsible for management relationships between the items in its bucket and the items in another bucket as the would quickly be unmanageable for all but the smallest number of bucket items
  2. I could put all my clothes into one bucket and call it a clothes bucket, however by treating all of clothes as just generic clothes items I lose a lot of flexibility I has in the multi bucket scenario.

No comments: